After days of looking into different products and hands-on usage, I’ve finally been able to compile a list of 7 products for this best industrial air compressor reviews. Although there are a bunch of criteria that dictate whether an air compressor is worth the purchase or not, while testing I found Industrial Air ILA1883054 30-Gallon to be the best of the bunch. Let’s take a very brief look at what this has to offer.
My Top Pick:
If you are looking for an allrounder that will provide you the best value, I’d highly recommend ILA1883054 30-Gallon.
It comes with a 155 PSI max pressure, 30-gallon tank, and It’s made of industry-standard durable material.
Pro Tips: Choosing the wrong tank size is one of the most frequent mistakes while buying an air compressor. Whether you are buying a portable industrial air compressor or a full-fledge industrial air compressor, make sure you choose the right tank size. Remember it’s always better to have a little more than what you’d assume you need.
- Editor’s Choice – Industrial Air ILA1883054: “As mentioned above, the Industrial Air ILA1883054 30-Gallon is the editor’s choice. It’s my favorite because of the feature set it brings along for the money you pay.”
- Best Portable Industrial Air Compressor – Industrial Air Contractor 4 Gallon: “Industrial Air Contractor 4 Gallon Portable Pontoon Air Compressor is the best portable air compressor available right now. It’s portable yet powerful. This makes it a great companion tool.”
- Heavy Duty Industrial Air Compressor – DEWALT DXCMV5048055: “With a huge 80-gallon tank, DEWALT DXCMV5048055 is my recommended product for those do heavy duty work. This is especially useful for large shops and similar demographics.”
- Best Bang for your Bucks – Quincy QT-54 Air Compressor: “Quincy QT-54 Splash Lubricated Reciprocating Air Compressor provides the best bang for your buck. The price to performance ratio for this air compressor is insanely good.“
- Best Industrial Air Compressor for the Money – California Air Tools 6010LFC: “California Air Tools 6010LFC, is the most budget friendly product of this review. This is great for people who don’t require much tank pressure or just starting their journey in the world of air tools.”
Industrial Air Compressor Comparison
|o Cast iron cylinder
o 155 PSI max pressure
o 30-gallon tank
|Food and agriculture
|o 5 HP engine
o 155 PSI max pressure
o 2-gallon tank
|Perfect fit for
|o 60-gallon tank
o 175 PSI max pressure
o 1310 RPM
|Automotive and household
|o 80-gallon tank
o 175 PSI max pressure
o 5 HP engine
|Perfect for any industry
|o 60-gallon tank
o Cast iron build
o 155 PSI max pressure
|Agriculture, water, and
|o 6-gallon tank
o 1 HP engine
|o 80-gallon tank
o 5-7.5 HP engine
o 175 PSI max pressure
What Businesses Require an Industrial Air Compressor?
Industrial air compressors are capable of doing so much more than typical commercial units. On the flip side of the coin, they do require more horsepower and high graded component than commercial counterparts. Typically, these air compressors are used in many different sectors. A few of them are mentioned below:
Industrial grade air compressors are widely used in the agriculture sector. Usually, tools that are used for agriculture purposes require more power than what a commercial air compressor can provide. So, it’s kind of a no brainer to use a high-power industrial air compressor. Some of the most notable use-cases are spraying crops, ventilating soils, plowing soils, etc.
2. Product Packaging Industry
The fast and precise timing nature of the product packaging industry requires something that is capable of handling all those demanding tasks. That’s why product packaging industries have widely adopted to industrial grade air compressors.
3. Water Treatment Industry
Water treatment plants require air that is free of contamination. Industrial air compressors are one of the go-to choices when you require fresh air. Also, they require constant and uninterrupted airflow. That’s why industrial air compressors are used in this sector more often these days.
4. Food and Beverage Industry
Food and beverage industries also use air compressor for various tasks. From packaging to decontamination, air compressors are being used almost everywhere there.
5. Automotive Industry
Automotive industry perhaps is the oldest industry that has been using industrial graded air compressors. They have to use many different types of air tools that just made air compressors a must have. This is like a jack of all trade for automotive industry.
6. Woodworking Industry
Another industry where air compressor is a must have is the woodworking industry. For the people that work in this industry they can’t go a single day without an air compressor. This makes their life much easier and simpler.
Top 7 Best Industrial Air Compressor Reviews
In this section, we will have an in-depth look at the top 7 air industrial air compressors. Every product in this list has been tested and tried thoroughly. So, without any further ado, let’s dive into the review.
1. Industrial Air ILA1883054 30-Gallon Belt Driven Air Compressor
Quick recap this one is my favorite on the list. With so many features to offer and a good price to performance ratio, this one is a good suit for almost everyone. Let’s see what this one has to offer.
- Built Like a Tank: The build of this air compressor is just phenomenal. Made with cast iron it is built like a tank. Sturdy and durable are the name of the game here.
- Choice for Maximum Efficiency: As mentioned above the price to performance ratio of this air compressor is amazing. That’s mainly because of the heavy-duty induction motor. It’s the perfect choice for maximum performance and efficiency.
- Power: This air compressor comes with a 155 PSI max tank pressure and a 30-gallon vertical portable tank. This makes it a perfect choice for industrial air tools.
- Dual Voltage Motor: The dual voltage motor is just the icing on the cake. We all know how annoying it can be to have different voltage outlets in different places. This motor can work with both 120v and 230v applications.
- Included Essentials: The main package comes with some of the most essentials like a quick-set regulator, synthetic oil, and much more.
- Best air compressor for continuous use.
- Made with durable material.
- Great price to performance.
- Dual voltage motor.
- Efficient and powerful.
- Recovery time needs improvements.
Related Post: Top 30 Gallon Industrial Air Compressor
Related Post: Top 20 Gallon Industrial Air Compressor
2. Best Oil Free Small Industrial Air Contractor Compressor Reviews
Another entry in the list from Industrial Air. I assure you I’m in no shape or form am affiliated with them. Packed with a 5HP Honda engine and portable in nature, this one is something to look out for. Let’s check out all its features.
- Portable: Perhaps the main reason why this made the cut to this list is the portable nature of this air compressor. When it comes to a portable air compressor, I don’t think it can get any better.
- Build: Although it’s portable and lightweight (considering an industrial air compressor), this one is actually built like a tank. Strong raw material and protective cage make it super durable.
- Powerful: It comes with a 5HP Honda OHC/OHV premium gas engine. Needless to say, that’s very impressive. Moreover, the 155 PSI max tank pressure makes it a great competitor for other products available in the market right now.
- Low Maintenance: Portable air compressors are low maintenance by default. This one is no different. An oil-free direct drive pump makes maintenance much easier. Another benefit of this pump is that it prolongs the life of the pump.
- Reliability: One common theme around portable air compressors is that they are not reliable enough. Well, this one breaks the trend. In my test, not once did it fail to impress me.
- Portable and lightweight.
- Strong and sturdy.
- Powerful and comes with a premium gas engine.
- 155 PSI max tank pressure.
- Low maintenance and oil-free pump
- Not as heavy-duty.
3. Quincy QT-54 Reciprocating Air Compressor Reviews
Made in the US this one is providing the best bang for your buck. Although it’s on the higher price side of the spectrum, the price to performance ratio is just bonkers. Let’s see what this beast comes with.
- Made with premium material: All the components of this air compressor are made of premium material. From the motor to the capacitor to the tank, everything is high quality and you definitely won’t be disappointed.
- Powerful: Comes with a powerful 5HP motor that runs on 230 AC volts. This combined with the max tank pressure of 175 makes this a very desirable choice. Especially for those who require more power.
- Variable Tank Pressure: One of the most useful features of this air compressor is the variable tank pressure. It comes with 145-175 working PSI pressure. The main benefit of this is that it’s configurable for different usage.
- High RPM Tank: The pump has an RPM of 1310. This is great for heavy-duty tools. You can easily go through any air tool with this one.
- Best in class recovery time: The recovery time for this air compressor is super-fast. This not only keeps the pump safe but also adds a different layer of efficiency. The capacitor starts the motor with built-in thermal overload helps the reduction of recovery time.
- Built with premium material.
- Powerful motor.
- Good thermal overload protection.
- Fast recovery time.
- High RPM tank.
- Variable tank pressure.
- Price can be a deal-breaker for some.
4.Best Industrial Air ILA3606056 60 gallon Single Stage Air Compressor Reviews
With a 60-gallon tank, this air compressor from Industrial Air was built for heavy-duty workflow in mind. Let’s find out what this one has to offer for the air tool enthusiasts.
- Build: Like most industrial air compressors by Industrial Air, this one is also built with cast iron. This makes sure a strong hold and durable operation throughout the year. If you are concerned with the build quality, this one is the right choice for you.
- Heavy Duty: Without a hint of doubt, I can say this industrial air compressor is definitely a good fit for commercial workflow. With a 240-volt heavy-duty induction motor, you can through any type of work to it and it will still thrive.
- Portable: Although it’s an industrial air compressor, the lightweight nature of this makes it the best commercial air compressor. Portability and power make it the best of both worlds.
- Single Stage compressor: The single-stage compressor removes all the complications of a dual-stage air compressor. This also makes it thermally much more stable than others.
- Certification: If you are into certification and reassurance like me, you’d be glad to know that this one comes with UL & CSA certification.
- 60-gallon tanks.
- High performance.
- Single stage air compressor.
- Comes with a limited time warranty.
- Comes with Ul & CSA certification.
- Customer service needs improvement.
Related Post: What is the best 60 gallon air compressor?
Related Post: Top Industrial Air 60 Gallon Air Compressor
5. California Air Tools 6010LFC Ultra Quiet Industrial Air Compressor
California Air Tools
California Air Tools has been in the air compressor game for a while. With their amazing engineering and innovation, they have perfected the art of making amazing air compressors. This one is no slouch either. Let’s check out its features.
- Ultra-quite: The best feature of this product for me is the ultra-quiet operation that it provides. The max working noise level for this air compressor is only 60 dB. Yes, that’s how quiet this one is.
- Low Maintenance: The oil-free pump makes this one a low-maintenance air compressor. It also provides cleaner air for better tool operation. If you don’t want the hassle of maintenance (not to mention the cost), go with this one.
- Portable: This one is the lightest industrial air compressor on this list. It weighs only 54 pounds. This makes it much more portable than any other on this list.
- Powerful: Although it’s portable and lightweight, it still packs a punch. Coming in with a 1 HP power motor and 3.0 CFM running at 90 PSI it can definitely hold its own.
- Longer life span: The motor is tested with a minimum life span of 4000 hours before wear. This very impressive actually. It is 30% longer than other brands in the same class.
- Very quiet operating noise level.
- Portable and lightweight.
- Low maintenance.
- Durable and long-lasting.
- Design is a bit outdated
6. DEWALT DXCMV5048055 Cast Iron Industrial Air Compressor
DEWALT is another known brand. We all know the quality of their products. This two-stage air compressor follows their tradition and packs a punch. Let’s do a deep dive into its feature set.
- Build: Build with cast iron it can withstand anything you through at it. No matter how rough and tough the workflow is, this will survive.
- Convenience: The integrated control panel has a tank and pressure gauge and 2 quick-connects for easy control. This is something that you never knew you needed until you had them. Makes your life much simpler.
- Powerful: The 2-stage air compressor comes with a 5HP motor to provide longer life and quite operation. The working voltage for this air compressor is 230 volts.
- Thermal protection: The in-built thermal protection system protects the motor from overheating and voltage fluctuations. This ensures proper reading and precise airflow.
- Performance: This air compressor is capable enough to deliver enough air to run multiple tools concurrently. If you like getting things done faster, you should definitely go for this one. Also, it comes with synthetic blended oil installed. So, that’s another added bonus.
- Powerful motor.
- Capable of enough airflow for multiple tools.
- Convenient features.
- Best in class thermal protection.
- Sturdy and durable build.
- Replacement parts are hard to find.
Related Post: Top 80 Gallon Industrial Air Compressor
7. Ingersoll Rand 2475N7.5-V best American made air commercial air compressor
This one is the most heavy-duty air compressor of this best air compressor reviews piece. With the longest life span on an air compressor and powerful motor, this one is very hard to beat. If you ever see this commercial air compressor for sale, definitely grab it.
- Long-life: Durable cast iron construction makes sure it lasts for ages. Moreover, the long-lasting extended pump design ensures over 15,000 hours of trouble-free usage. This is the most I’ve ever seen.
- Power and flexibility: The powerful 7.5HP two-stage air compressor with 175 max PSI tank pressure provides a tremendous amount of power. The 80-gallon tank is just another layer of icing on the cake. This one can outperform anything you through at it.
- Reliable: The included synthetic oil ensures efficiency and reliability. Once applied it can last up to 2000 hours of usage before re-applying. It performs 4 times better than petroleum-based lubricants.
- Easy Service: The industrial graded cylinder, overhung crankshaft, and one-piece connecting rod simplify maintenance and service. It might look like a high-maintenance air compressor at the beginning but it’s actually not.
- Heavy Duty: This air compressor was built with heavy-duty workflow on the mind. You can literally through the most demanding task at it and it will come out as the winner. If that’s something that you want, go with this one.
- Powerful and efficient.
- Easy maintenance.
- Heavy-duty workflow.
- Best in class lubricant included.
- It’s a bit pricey.
- Not for everyone.
Best Industrial Air Compressor: Buying Guide
Whether you are looking for something heavy-duty or something that will just get the job done, knowing what to look for before buying an air compressor is very important. This section will serve you as the one-stop guide for all things air compressors. Below I will mention some of the key factors that you need to consider before making the final buying decision. Let’s dive into it.
Air Pressure (PSI)
Air pressure or PSI is the most important factor to consider while choosing an air compressor. The typical metric for air pressure is Pounds per Square Inch or PSI. Almost all the air tools require 90 PSI pressure to run properly. To be able to achieve that much pressure, you need an air compressor with higher shut-off pressure.
Most industrial air compressors are two-stage air compressors. That means they build that shut-off pressure in two stages. The first stage builds pressure to about 90 PSI and the second stage builds up to 175 PSI.
On the flip side of the coin, most hobbyist air compressors are single stage. They go up to 135 PSI pressure in one stage. In hindsight, this might seem like a lot. But in reality, due to loss of pressure in different stages of the compressor, this is actually not that much. You might end up not having enough pressure at the tool because of these resistances.
Cubic Feet Per Minute (CFM)
Air tools need a certain volume of air to keep the tools running. Without this air, they cannot run. The metric for the air a compressor produces for the air tools to run is cubic feet per minute of CFM. You might have already noticed different CFM ratings at different PSI in this review.
CFM is calculated considering the size and the speed of the compressor pump. Although CFM rating varies on different pressure points, the one you should be looking for this CFM rating at 90 PSI pressure.
Why you ask?
Well, as I already mentioned, this is the pressure at which most air tools run. So, choosing a higher CFM rating at 90 PSI is definitely safer than others.
If you wish to know more about CFM and how to choose the best CFM for yourself, read this guide on CFM rating.
Horsepower is certainly the most important and most abused evaluation metric for an air compressor. HP is typically a good way of measuring how big of an air compressor you need. However, this is also abused by the makers because of the hype it gets.
Typically, a 5 HP industrial air compressor is 3 times as big as a 5 HP hobby air compressor. That is because industrial air compressors are ratings are more accurate than others. Not going to lie, this is an absolute shame.
So, how would you know if the rating mentioned on an air compressor is accurate or not? Well, it’s actually pretty easy if you know where to look at. Just look at the electrical power requirement. A genuine 5 HP air compressor will draw 24 amps on a 220 V board. On the other hand, a fake 5 HP air compressor will draw half of that on a 110v board. In reality, that’s equivalent to only 2 HP.
So, definitely take a closer look at this before deciding to buy something.
Finally, I’m going to answer the most longed-for question ever. Does size matter?
Well, not that much. Your tank size literally doesn’t translate to performance. The tank is just a storage for air. Nothing more than that. Having a big pump and motor is way more important than having a big tank. As you will be producing more air all the time, you will never run out of air to run a tool.
However, when it comes to portable air compressors, you will definitely save a lot more money by having a large tank. For an instance, if your compressor produces 10 CFM continuously, 2- CFM can be easily taken out of the tank in half the time. If you only need to run an impact wrench, having a smaller compressor with a large tank is always beneficial financially.
On the other hand, if you want to run big demanding tools simultaneously, it’s better to have a large pump than a tank.
A smaller tank means a faster start and stop. It’s also more portable. Larger thank, on the other hand, starts and stops less often as they are required to do so.
Single-stage and Two-stage
Single-stage air compressors are usually comprised of one cylinder. They directly pump air from the cylinder to the tank. Two-stage air compressors usually have more than one cylinder. They pump air from one cylinder to another and finally to the tank.
In the case of two-stage air compressors, the air moves from cylinder one to cylinder two through a cooling pipe at 90 PSI. Then from cylinder two to the tank at 175 PSI. The main purpose of a two-stage air compressor is to provide more pressure. If you run high-pressure air tools more often, then go for a two-stage air compressor. Otherwise, stick to one stage air compressor as it provides 90 PSI pressure which is the most common for any air tool.
You might have the misconception of two-stage air compressors being better than single-stage air compressors. That’s actually not true at all. At the end of the day, it boils down to your need. If you are okay with having one cylinder, why bother going for a two-stage air compressor?
Not to mention it adds a significant amount to the final price as well. So, before you choose which one you want to get, make sure you look at your air tools and see the pressure they require to run.
This is perhaps the most ignored factor when it comes to buying an air compressor. Think about this scenario. You buy a local air compressor for 30% of the price of a renowned brand. You might think that you just made a great investment. However, it has bad performance and lasts only 6 months. Suddenly it doesn’t look like a great investment at all.
Reputed brands have a reputation to keep. That’s why they usually build their air compressors like a tank. They last longer, perform better, and not to mention save you hundreds of dollars. That’s precisely why I always say, don’t buy a cheap air compressor from someone who will not guarantee you the product’s life expectancy.
A general rule of thumb to follow over cheap air compressors is that for every dollar you spend on a better air compressor you get from a reputed company; you are saving at least 2-3 dollars in the long run.
So, yeah! Always make sure you get a good life expectancy rating from your supplier and a warranty.
All the products mentioned, in this best industrial air compressor reviews come with a limited time warranty and/or good life expectancy. Remember it’s always better to be safe than sorry later.
Oil or Oil-free?
This is also something you need to know before you buy an air compressor. Air compressors that require oil usually use it for two main reasons. One being the smoothness of operation and the other being thermal. Oil acts as a thermal cooling component to stop overheating and messing up with the shut-off temperature. However, because of this oil and added layer of maintenance is required. You need to clean it every now and then and need to change oil as well. Also, the change of oil is much more frequent than one might think.
Oil-free air compressors on the other hand do not require this extra maintenance. Instead of oil, they use specialized lubricants to control thermal and smooth operations. Although, at first it might look like oil-free compressors are superior to the other counterpart, it’s actually not always true.
At the end of the day, it depends on the workflow and needs. That being said, if you are a hobbyist, going for an oil-free air compressor will probably be the right choice for you.
Types of Industrial Air compressor
Typically, 3 most used industrial air compressors are centrifugal air compressor, Large rotary screw air compressor, and scroll air compressor. Let’s take a brief look at them.
1. Centrifugal Compressors
Centrifugal air compressors are dynamic air compressors with radial design. Displacement air compressors work at a constant rate. The air pressure and flow are never changed throughout the entire operation. Centrifugal air compressors on the other hand are dynamic in nature. Air flow and performance is affected by other external factors such as change in temperature. The reason it is called centrifugal air compressor is because it uses centrifugal force of the blades. It converts kinetic energy produced by the blades into pressure by passing through a diffuser and volute.
2. Rotary Screw Air Compressor
A rotary type screw air compressor is a type of air compressor that uses rotary-type positive displacement mechanism to produce air. These types of air compressors are more useful in industry scenario as they are capable of producing more air than a typical displacement air compressor. These replace the traditional piston-based air compressors as they are more suited for the targeted market. If you are looking for the best rotary screw air compressor, we are coming up with a review soon.
3. Scroll Air Compressor
In contrast with the more traditional up-and-down motion of a piston air compressor, a scroll air compressor designed in such a way that it works in a circular motion. A scroll air compressor has a stationary scroll and an orbiting scroll that is rotated through the use of a swing link.
The best scroll air compressor will have fewer moving parts. So, it doesn’t have to deal with torque variations. This result in much smoother experience than a typical piston-based air compressor. In case you are looking for an option, I’d suggest you go with DEWALT DXCMV5048055.
Best Industrial Air Compressor Manufacturers
As mentioned in the life expectancy section of the buying guide, buying a product from top industrial air compressor brands is much safer than buying from an unknown brand. Now you might as what those brands are. Well, in this section we will take a look at the top 10 industrial air compressor manufacturers in the world. Please keep in mind the following brands are in random order.
This American brand was founded in the year of 1871. These guys have been in the air compressor game for very long. They definitely know what to do and what not to do. They are mostly known for making portable industrial air compressor.
2. Atlas Copco
Atlas is another OG in the air compressor game. Founded in 1873 this company is well-known for designing and manufacturing air compressors all over the world.
Established in 1892, GE has grown its trust and popularity by manufacturing aircraft engines. Their air compressors are used in many industries such as agriculture, natural gas, petrochemicals, etc.
Founded in 1847, they have been conducting their business in many different sectors. Their main focus being electrification and digitization, they manufacture and export air compressor and their parts worldwide.
Sulzer is a well know manufacturing and engineering company. They were established in 1834. They are global suppliers of parts and air compressors along with other hardware.
Senco is another well-known brand. Their products are some of the best and long-lasting. They produce all sorts of hardware.
Hitachi is perhaps the most known in this list. They are one of the largest companies in the world. Their most prized air compressors are the EC12 portable air compressor.
DeWalt is hands down the leader when it comes to air compressors in the market. They offer different variety of air compressors at different price points. I’d highly recommend you check some of their products.
Bostitch is mostly known for making some of the premium quality air compressors. Their air compressors last the longest. Their engineering is also on the top. When it comes to air compressors, these guys mean business.
10. California Air tools
With the goal of changing peoples lives through digitization, California air tools was established in early 2002. Although they are a fairly new company, they have gained the trust of people very fast.
Industrial Air Compressor Maintenance Checklist
Maintenance can be both a blessing and a pain. It’s hard to do and continue. On the other hand, it does prolong the life expectancy of your air compressors. Below is a checklist of maintenance for air compressors.
- Avoid downtime
- Keep your air filter on check
- Avoid costly emergency repairs
- Change lubricants whenever needed
- Increase air compressor life and efficiency
- Change air filter elements.
- Lower energy cost.
- Always make sure inner components are dust free.
- Make sure to place the compressor on a flat surface.
- Drain your air compressor every now and then.
- If yours is not an oil-free air compressor, make sure to change the oil every month or roughly after 500 hours of operation.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
An industrial air compressor is a specialized air compressor that is capable of providing more power. Industrial air compressors are being used in many different industries as mentioned in the first part of this review.
Usually for higher requirement of air flow centrifugal air compressors are used. Centrifugal air compressors are able to provide much more air than their displacement counterparts.
Yes! Absolutely. If you run an industry that requires heavy duty tasks, industrial air compressors are the way to go about it.
It depends on the workflow. Please refer to the buying guide mentioned above to know more about how to make the right choice.
In my opinion, Industrial Air ILA1883054 30-Gallon is a very good candidate. It comes with all the bells and whistles one can ask for.
That’s it. This brings us to the end of the review. In this post about the best industrial air compressor reviews I tried to pour as much information as I could so that you can make an educated decision. Although, I’ve already mentioned my top pick at the beginning of this post, for the sake of recap, here are my top 3 picks.
1st runner up: DEWALT DXCMV5048055
2nd runner up: Quincy QT-54 Splash Lubricated Reciprocating Air Compressor
All things considered, if you choose any of these three, you are in safe hands. However, if you don’t like any of these 3 and want to pick one on your own, follow the buying guide. Trust me it is a foolproof guide.
Do you agree with this list? What would you do differently? Feel free to let me know about your thoughts in the comment section down below.
I wish I was of some help to you. I hope you are doing in this challenging time. As always, work hard, and please stay safe.