5 HP air compressors are kinda of the sweet spot for both professionals and hobbyists. It’s not something that is industrial level or something that is just not powerful enough. Regardless of whether you are a hobbyist or a professional who runs a shop, 5 HP air compressors are the way to go about it. However, it can be a bit tricky to find the most suitable one for you. Especially if you don’t exactly know what to look for. That is where this post comes into play.
After testing different products for hours in the quest of finding the best 5 hp air compressor, I’ve finally managed to compile a list of 7 products that I think are worth having a look at.
MY TOP PICK:
Quincy QT-54 Splash Lubricated Reciprocating Air Compressor is my top pick when it comes to 60 gallon 5 hp air compressor.
It a large enough tank and powerful motor, it’s really hard not to recommend this.
PRO TIP: While buying a 5-HP air compressor, make sure you check the effective HP rating. Because low-quality products will always have less than 5-HP effective power.
It would be wise to finish reading the whole thing first before making any final decision. However, if you are looking for a quick gist of the thing, the followings are my recommended products based on 5 different categories. Let’s have a look at them.
- Editor’s Choice – Quincy QT-54: “As mentioned above, the: Quincy QT-54 Splash Lubricated Reciprocating Air Compressor is my favorite on this list. The main reason being the great price to performance ratio.“
- Best for demanding usages – Industrial Air IV5076055: “Industrial Air IV5076055 60 gallon 5 hp Two Stage Air Compressor is most suitable for those who need raw power all the time. As this is an industrial air compressor, it can handle anything you throw at it. [On a quick side note, if you are interested in knowing more about industrial air compressors, please visit this post of ours.]”
- Best bang for your bucks – Quincy QT-54: “Although Quincy QT-54 Splash Lubricated Reciprocating Air Compressor is mentioned in the editor’s choice section, I had to include this in the best bang for your buck section as well. It simply has the best price to performance ratio.”
- Best portable – Campbell Hausfeld VT6195: “CAMPBELL HAUSFELD VT6195 is the one on this list with the least weight. It weighs only 246 pounds which is really not much for an air compressor with a 60-gallon tank.”
- Best 60 gallon air compressor under $1000 – Maxair C5160V1: “Maxair C5160V1-MAP 60-Gallon air Compressor is without a doubt a budget champion. Even though it’s priced very competitively, this one doesn’t really cut any corners when it comes to features. If you are tight on money but need a 5-HP air compressor, go for this one.”
7 Best 60 Gallon Air Compressor For The Money
In this section, we will have a deeper look at all the 7 5-HP air compressors that I think are the best in the market right now. Every single one of these air compressors were tested thoroughly and I will try to portrait my experience while I was testing them. So, without any further ado, let’s take a look at them.
1. Quincy QT-54 Splash Lubricated Reciprocating Air Compressor Review
This US made air compressor will hands down give you the best bang for your buck. Despite being a bit pricy, it’s price to performance ratio surely mitigates that factor. Let’s see what features this one comes with.
- Premium Material All Around: Every part of this product was made from premium material with longevity and performance in mind. From capacitor to tank to motor everything looks and feels premium. Trust me on this, even if you pay a high price for it, you won’t be disappointed in the long run.
- Powerful: When it comes to raw power, this one is no slouch either. With a powerful 5HP motor, this one can run anything and everything. It also runs on 230 AC volts. The max tank pressure of 175 PSI is just the icing on the cake here.
- Variable Tank Pressure: Although the max tank pressure is 175 PSI, it can vary from 145-175. Remember customizability is always a good thing to have.
- High RPM: This beast of a machine comes with and RPM of whopping 1310. If you are a heavy-duty air tool guy, this one will serve you just right.
- Fast Recovery Time: Recovery time is very important for any type of air compressor. Faster recovery time results in durability and longevity. Fortunately for us, this one comes with best-in-class recovery time. The capacitor comes with a built-in thermal overload. This ensures larger reduction in recovery time than other products.
- Premium quality product.
- Powerful motor.
- High RPM tank.
- Best in class thermal protection.
- Fast recovery time.
- 145-175 PSI tank pressure.
- Not for those who are in a tight budget.
2. Ingersoll Rand 5HP 60 gallon Vertical Electric Air Compressor Reviews
Choosing between price and quality is very hard. You can neither sacrifice quality nor pay the extra money to get the best one. Fortunately for us, SS5 5HP air compressor is something that combines the best of both worlds. It’s very competitively priced and doesn’t sacrifice quality. Let’s have a look.
- Durable: Made with pure cast iron this one can last more than 5000 hours of zero trouble use. To put it into perspective, other products in a similar price point don’t even come closer to the life-cycle as this one. So, yeah! If you want something that is built like a tank and will last forever, get this one.
- Power and Flexibility: Are you looking for something that will power you through any demanding task you through at? Well, look no more. Coming in at 135 PSI and 60-gallon vertical tank, it can provide you enough power for 100% continuous duty usage.
- User friendly: This one comes fully assembled and wired right out of the box. No need to do all that tricky assembly yourself. Moreover, the automatic start/stop pressure switch is a must have in my opinion. The filers can also be changed easily.
- Safe: SS5 put a lot of thought into safety. For thermal protection, it comes with a manual thermal overload. The protective enclosure is another nice touch.
- Reliable: The included all season synthetic lubricant increases efficiency drastically. Even in harsh weather, it will fly through everything you throw at it.
- Powerful motor.
- Strong built quality.
- Easy to use.
- Runs for hours.
- Safe to use.
- Performs the same throughout the year.
- Recovery time could be improved.
3. Industrial Air IV5076055 60 gallon 5 hp 2 Stage Air Compressor
Industrial Air is a very reputed brand in the air compressor industry. They have been manufacturing top-notch quality air compressors for decades and this one is no different. With premium-quality build and performance in mind, the IV5076055 is a product you should keep your eyes on.
- Build: Keeping the tradition in mind, the IV5076055 was also built with cast iron. It ensures a sturdy build and durable operation all around. If build quality is your primary concern, you can rely on this one.
- Heavy Duty: With a 5 HP motor and 60-gallon tank, this air compressor was made for heavy-duty workflow. Moreover, the 175 PSI max tank pressure provides more than enough pressure to run multiple air tools at the same time.
- Lifelong Survive: What’s the point of paying a premium for something if you can’t use it for years and years? Well, with that very specific thought in mind, this air compressor was built to last longer. The low pump RPM ensures a longer life expectancy.
- Safety: With both the user’s and tank’s safety in mind, this one was engineered to perfection. It comes with an electric motor with thermal overload protection. Their patented pump design provides a cooler temperature for running pump.
- Portable: Although it weighs about 400 pounds, it comes with four tie-down holes in platform. This ensures easy transportation and adds a touch of portability to it.
- 60-gallon tanks.
- two-stage compressor.
- Patented pump design.
- Customer service needs improvement.
Related Post: Top 60 Gallon Industrial Air Compressor
4. Ingersoll Rand 2340L5-V two-stage air compressor Review
Next in our list of best 5 hp air compressor is the 2340L5 air compressor. This air compressor is like the older and better brother of the SS5 air compressor. It comes with all the bells and whistles of the previous one but on steroids. Although it is a bit pricier than SS5, I think it’s worth the money.
- Life-long Service: Coming in at a whopping 15,000 hours of trouble-free use time, this one was made for those who want to invest once and stop worrying for the rest of their lives. It simply cannot get any better when it comes to durability and performance.
- Easy Maintenance: The overhung crankshaft, the cast iron cylinder, and the piece connecting rod make your life much easier. No more hassling around things to get it just right. Also, the all-season synthetic lubricant makes sure you don’t need to change the oil every now and then.
- Raw Power: This 5 HP 2-stage air compressor comes with 175 PSI max tank pressure. That’s more than sufficient for any kind of workflow. Whether you are a professional or a hobbyist, this one will do you justice.
- Reliability: After using this one for more than a couple of weeks, I can completely vouch for the reliability of 5 hp industrial air compressor. Not for once, I had any trouble getting it to do what I wanted it to do. More importantly, the included synthetic lubricant didn’t require to be changed at all. It has a change cycle of 2000 hours. That’s a lot in real life.
- Limited Time Warranty: Let’s be straight, we all know talk is talk. A product can be really good on paper but it might break down on the first use. Or you can just be very unfortunate and get a faulty unit. As of writing this 60 gallon air compressor reviews piece, this air compressor comes with a limited time warranty.
- 15,000 hours of trouble-free use.
- 175 PSI max tank pressure.
- Longer lasting.
- Maintenance free.
- 2000 hours lubricant life-cycle.
- Limited time Warranty.
- A bit pricy.
5. Campbell Hausfeld 60 Gallon Air Compressor, VT6195
CAMBELL HAUSFELD is another OG in the air compressor game. With high performance and premium built material, the VT6195 easily makes it to the list of top 7 60 gallon 5 hp air compressor. So, without any more delay let’s take a deeper look at this product.
- Flexibility: The pump is capable of providing high airflow. This in return makes sure you can run a variety and multiple air tools at the same time. The max tank pressure of this air compressor is 135 PSI. Airflow is 11.5 CFM. That’s more than enough for any form of workflow.
- Built: Made with heavy-duty cast iron, this one checks all the items in the list of durability and strength. It has a very strong hold and doesn’t wiggle at all while it’s operating. If you want something that won’t weigh like a ton but isn’t weak either, this is the one to go for.
- Portability: Speaking of weight, these weighs only 246 lbs. This is the lightest air compressor on this list. If you think about it 5 HP 60-gallon air compressors don’t usually weigh this less. This does add an extra layer of portability to the whole thing.
- Thermal: As this one is an oil-lubricated air compressor, the thermals are great. Moreover, it was engineered to run cooler than other typical air compressors in the class. Although oil means more maintenance, it is a trade-off worth considering.
- Long-lasting: This air compressor can go up to 5000 hours of operation. This rating was based on the B-10 bearing standard. So, yeah! No BS there.
- Can run multiple tools at once.
- Built like a tank.
- Great thermals.
- Needs regular maintenance.
6. DeWalt DXCMV5076055 60 gallon 5 HP 2 Stage Air Compressor
DeWalt perhaps is the most known name when it comes to hardware tools in the market. With a great reputation and quality products delivered every time, I had to look into their air compressor stash. And I may have found the best match. Let’s see what all the fuss is about.
- Powerful: With a 5 HP motor and a maximum CFM at 175 PSI tank pressure, this one can definitely hold its own. Like most other air compressors on this list, it is also capable of running multiple air tools at the same it. That too without breaking any sweat.
- Genius Engineering: With their patented pump design, the spotlight was bound to shine on them again. Their all-new pump runs much cooler than any other in the market. Moreover, the industrial-style air intake filter makes the thermal control even better.
- Recovery Time: It comes with excellent recovery time. The tank is equipped with a pressure gauge and an on/off switch. This improves compressor cooling. In return, you have the best-in-class recovery time.
- Large Capacity: 60-gallon tank combined with high airflow is a killer combo. The pump is capable of filling the tank faster and the motor is capable of providing high airflow. You will never feel the lack of pressure ever while using this air compressor.
- Cost-efficient: This air compressor was made with efficiency in mind. Customers don’t want to pay a high price if they don’t get the desired performance. The price to performance ratio for this air compressor is nothing short of amazing.
- Great built quality
- Engineered to perfection.
- Great thermal.
- High airflow.
- Pump leaks oil sometimes.
7. Maxair Premium 60 Gallon Electric Stationary Air Compressor for the money
The C5160V1 from Maxair is another lightweight air compressor that I had to include in this list of 60-gallon air compressor reviews. Despite being lightweight it’s actually built pretty well and performs like a champ too. This makes it a worthy candidate for best 60 gallon air compressor under $1000 trophy.
- Powerful: This 5 HP air compressor comes with 3 high flow piston pumps that can generate 18.5 CFM running at 100 PSI pressure. The max tank pressure for this air compressor is 170 PSI. You won’t ever need to worry about power with this one.
- Build Quality: C5160C1 comes with an excellent build quality. Made with cast iron in and out it is strong and sturdy. Moreover, the stands are also very strong. You are highly unlikely to ever tip this off accidentally.
- Long-lasting: This is one of the longest-lasting 5 HP air compressors that are priced under $1000. Equipped with a high-efficiency reed valve, it will last for hours and hours.
- Thermal: The thermal for this product is simply great. The all-metal belt guard makes sure there is maximum cooling all the time and every time. Moreover, the heat dissipation capability is also great. The recovery time is also great.
- Budget King: The price to performance ratio for this air compressor is incredible. You are getting all the necessary features one needs for almost half the price of other premium-priced/marketed products. More importantly, it doesn’t do any gimmick.
- Great price to performance ratio.
- Strong build quality.
- Great thermals.
- Quick recovery time.
- A bit too noisy.
Best 5 HP Air Compressor: The buying guide
Now that we’ve had the chance to look at the top 7 60 gallon 5 HP air compressors, you can either get one of these or choose your own. However, if you don’t know what to look for while choosing one, this is the right stop for you.
There’re certain factors that you should keep taking into consideration. In this section, we will take a look at some of the most important factors to consider before buying an air compressor. Let’s take a look at them.
There are mainly three types of compressors that are available in the market right now. One-stage, two-stage, and three-stage. Well, you might ask which one is best for you?
That actually depends on the workflow you have or are targeting. If you more of a hobbyist then the single-stage will do just right. Single-stage air compressors are useful for nailing, stapling, running a saw machine, etc. However, if you are a professional or are running an auto shop or any other shop that requires air tools for the matter, you are better off with a two-stage air compressor.
Regardless of which one you choose to buy. Make sure you think about your workflow thoroughly before making the final decision.
As we are strictly talking about 5 HP 60-gallon air compressors, perhaps the most important factor to consider is pressure. The pressure of an air compressor is measured in PSI. Usually, small air tools require 90-130 PSI pressure. For hobbyists that’s sufficient pressure.
However, for those of you who need more power and want to run multiple tools simultaneously, choose something that has at least 130 PSI pressure. This will ensure a faster and efficient workflow.
Build quality of an air compressor is another important aspect. No one wants to buy something that will break after 1 month of usages. That’s why you must make sure you get something that’s built like a tank. Please! Do not cut any corners when it comes to build quality.
One general rule of thumb that I follow is to go for something that’s made of cast iron. They are strong and durable. They can go through any sort of tough workflow you through at it.
Let’s be honest, no one likes to do the maintenance job. Unfortunately, this is an unavoidable scenario. Doesn’t matter which air compressor you buy; you must do maintenance once in a while.
However, we can minimize the number of times maintenance is required. My suggestions would be to go with something that works with synthetic lubricants instead of oil. Oil makes a mess of things over time. Moreover, lubricants are easy to work with and they are environment friendly.
Last but not the least is warranty. Nowadays the quality of air compressors has gone up really high. Usually, they don’t break or become unusable that easily. However, on the off chance it does, it’s always good to have a backup plan. Having a warranty will not only give you that backup but also a sense of mental peace.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Followings are some of the most frequently asked questions I get about air compressors in general.
Depending on the workflow it can range from 2HP-5HP. But never go less than 2HP
HP stands for horse power in air compressors dictates how powerful the motor is.
AS mentioned earlier, it’s perhaps the most important factor of an air compressor along with pressure.
It depends on the type of tool and workflow you have in mind.
Usually, it is mentioned in the user manual. Sometimes manufacturers also mention it on the sticker that’s on the air compressor.
It’s a measure of compressor’s motor’s efficiency. The more the HP the more efficient the motor is.
Well, that’s it. This brings us to an end of our journey of finding the best 5 hp air compressor. There are other great products which did not make a cut in this post. However, I feel like this list was justified enough for the cause. In case you need a little recommendation from me, here it is:
Best budget option: Maxair C5160V1-MAP 60-Gallon air Compressor
There you go. In case you don’t like any of the 3 I mentioned above, you can read through the buying guide and make an educated decision. If you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to mention them in the comment section below. As always, work hard and stay sage.